Physical Eduacation (PE) and Sport
At Loxwood, we recognise the importance PE plays in the curriculum and are committed to providing all children with opportunities to engage fully in Physical Education. Our curriculum develops fundamental movement skills and allows children to access a broad range of opportunities to extend their agility, balance and coordination, individually and with others. We intend to develop children’s communication, collaboration and ability to compete with others while developing their understanding of how to improve in different physical activities and sports.
Our children will:
- Develop the foundations for all children to have a positive lifelong passion for being active and leading a healthy life, as well as understanding the positive relationship between physical activity and mental health.
- Develop a love of PE by accessing a varied and rich diet of different activities where fundamental skills are linked throughout. We want them to succeed and excel in competitive and physically demanding activities, but ensure that good sportsmanship is maintained. From a young age, children will understand the importance of health and the benefits that eating healthy foods and exercise can have on their body.
- By the time they leave us, the children should be able to swim at least 25 metres, as well as being able to use a range of effective strokes and perform safe self-rescue in different water-based situations.
Platinum School Games Mark 2021-2023
We have just retained our Platinum School Games Mark 2021-2023, which is an incredible achievement for a small school (and we are the only primary schools in the area to hold this level).
This mark rewards schools for their commitment to, and development of, P.E., school sports clubs and competitions. It recognises the hard work that has been undertaken to ensure all young people have access to a wide breadth of sports opportunities within the school.
PE and Sports Premium Funding
Since 2013, all schools have been allocated PE and Sports Premium funding. At Loxwood, we have used this funding to continue the development of sport in the following ways:
- We employ a specialist PE coach (Mr Green) to work in school for one day a week. This gives all our teachers an opportunity to further develop their own knowledge of teaching in PE whilst ensuring all children are experiencing high quality coaching in a wide range of sports. Mr Green continues to work alongside Miss Price, coordinating and hosting inter-house matches within school. These fixtures have led to increased opportunities for all children to participate in competitive sports at varying levels.
- We use part of the funding to further develop links with the Weald Family Partnership, which provides staff training and enables a wide range of children to represent the school at various fixtures throughout the year.
- Some money has been used to update equipment and to purchase playground equipment to keep the children active at play times.
Full information about how our Sports Premium is spent, can be found in the reports below: